WBN ebook Essay Contest
World Book Night U.S. announces the following:
A free WBN proprietary ebook. Produced with Livrada and Ingram, it will be available free to givers to pass along on April 23, 2014. This first-time WBN, entitled The World Book Night 2014 ebook: An Original Collection of Stories and Essays by Booksellers, Librarians, and Authors, features 10 pieces by past givers.
An essay contest. The 10 best essays submitted by this year’s volunteer givers about their April 23, 2014 World Book Night giving experience will be included in a special WBN ebook next year. One winner will be chosen in each of nine national regions plus an overseas military base category. The grand prize winner will receive two round-trip domestic airline tickets.
Simultaneously, the 10 best bookseller giver essays will comprise another special free ebook, and the grand prize bookseller winner will receive two round-trip domestic airline tickets to BEA in 2015. A librarian essay contest will happen concurrently, with the same guidelines and prize of two round-trip domestic airline tickets to ALA.
Essays should reflect the experiences of the giver and those they gave books to on April 23, 2014. Deadline for submission is May 31, 2014. Full rules, guidelines, regional breakdowns, and terms and conditions are posted below.
Executive Director Lennertz said: “We’ve discussed a digital component for WBN since year one, but it didn’t come together until the great people at Livrada stepped forward, and until two authors who were givers agreed to contribute pieces. Then we sought and received the fun bookseller and library contributions to the ebook.”
Lennertz continued: “This is a supplement to our primary mission of printed books, not a change in direction. It’s short and fun original material, and we wanted the givers to have this to offer anyone they meet who might not read often on their smart phones or tablets. Our main mission is still to find a half million people without means or access to printed books, but this digital extra is a nice plus. We also feel it’s a great thank you to the 25,000 volunteer givers to enjoy as well. And now, we have the giver contest to be in next year’s ebook!”
THE 2014 WBN EBOOK POWERED BY LIVRADA
A joint effort of World Book Night, Livrada, and Ingram Content Group, the 2014 ebook is an original collection of 10 short stories and essays by booksellers, librarians, and authors who are WBN participants. The 2014 WBN ebook will be available free online at www.eworldbooknight.org for two weeks beginning April 22, 2014, accessible for download to any device with a web browser, as well as downloadable as a PDF.
Leonard Chen (CEO and Co-Founder) and the Livrada Team made a statement: “As a company, we are thrilled to bring our technology and resources to support World Book Night. We strive to meld our passion for technology and books, and hope this ebook brings joy to many people this WBN 2014.” Learn more about Livrada at www.livrada.com.
ESSAY CONTEST - Rules & Guidelines
- Write an essay that tells of your WBN 2014 giver experience. Be as stylistically creative as you want, but your work must be nonfiction.
- Essay may not exceed 1250 words.
- Limit one entry per person.
- Please respect the privacy of the book recipients, don’t use real names; we suggest you use pseudonyms.
- The World Book Night Essay Contest runs from April 24, 2014 to May 31, 2014.
- All entries are to be either digitally submitted or postmarked no later than 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on May 31, 2014.
- Contestant must be 16 years of age or older and a legal citizen or resident of the United States of America.
- Contestant must be (1) an accepted 2014 WBN Giver who (2) donated WBN 2014 edition books on (3) April 23, 2014 or within the following week.
- SUBMISSIONS must be either:
- Mailed to the World Book Night U.S. office at: 71 5th Ave., 2nd floor New York, NY 10003
- Submissions must include Contestant full name, phone number, email address, title of the book distributed, and location of distribution (including city and state).
- If the written submission is also a blog post or hosted online, please provide the link with your document submission.
- Formats accepted: Word Document, Pages (Mac), Google Document, or PDF.
- The Essay Contest will be judged by the World Book Night U.S. staff.
- There will be 10 winners.
- ONE GRAND PRIZE EACH FOR GIVER, BOOKSELLER, AND LIBRARIAN CONTEST: Inclusion of your essay in a World Book Night ebook to be published in the next year AND two round-trip domestic airline tickets. (Retail value: $1,000)
- TEN FIRST PRIZES: Inclusion of your essay in a World Book Night ebook to be published in the next year. One first prize winner will be chosen from each of the following locations. Winner’s inclusion in the geographical region is based upon the giver’s home address.
- New England: MA, RI, CT, VT, NH, ME
- Mid-Atlantic: NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE, DC, VA
- Southeast: NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, WV, TN, KY
- Great Lakes: OH, MI, IN, IL, WI
- Midwest: MN, IA, ND, SD, NE, KS, MO
- South: TX, LA, AR, OK
- Rocky Mountains: CO, UT, WY, MT
- Southwest: CA, AZ, NM, NV, HI
- Pacific Northwest: OR, WA, ID, AK
- Overseas military bases
- World Book Night will determine whether the winning essays will be published in the ebook as submitted or if revisions are needed.
- World Book Night will decide if and when to share/promote/publish the winning pieces on our social media platforms and newsletter.
- All of the above rules must be followed or your submission will be invalid.
- Entrants must comply with these rules. Submission means you accept and understand these rules and the below Terms & Conditions.
CONTESTS Terms & Conditions
- All entrants retain the copyright right to the original piece they submit and if needed, any revisions they are requested to make.
- By entering this Contest, each contestant agrees to the use of his/her name, and/or essay or video or parts thereof in any merchandise, advertisements, educational materials, or publicity carried out or produced by World Book Night U.S. without further notice or compensation. World Book Night U.S. can publish or decline to publish, or use or decline to use, any submissions at World Book Night’s sole discretion.
- World Book Night U.S. reserves the right to edit the pieces.
- All entries become property of World Book Night U.S. and will not be returned.
- World Book Night U.S., its advertising and promotion agencies assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged, illegible, incomplete, postage-due, garbled or misdirected entries or entries that have been submitted through illicit means, or do not conform to or satisfy the Contest Rules or for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any entry to be received or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the contest. Any expenses incurred in the giveaway or creating of the essay piece are the responsibility of the giver.
- Without express consent, World Book Night U.S. will not provide or sell your personal information to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing.
- By entering this Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Contest Sponsor (World Book Night U.S.) and their respective employees, officers, directors, agents, representatives, successors, assigns, advertising and promotional agencies from any liability for any loss or damage of any kind to the entrant or any other person in connection with this Contest or participation in any Contest related activities, including but not limited to the use or misuse of a prize or any portion of a prize including personal injury, death, or property damage.
- World Book Night U.S. reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, cancel or suspend this Contest should an external circumstances arise which are beyond the reasonable control of World Book Night U.S. The Contest Sponsor (World Book Night U.S.) is not responsible for any errors or omissions in printing or advertising this Contest. This Contest will run in accordance with these Contest Rules, subject to amendment by World Book Night U.S.
- World Book Night U.S. reserves the right to cancel, amend, modify or terminate this Contest or the Rules at any time in its sole discretion and without notice.
- The Grand Prize of two round-trip domestic airline tickets must be used in accordance with the Terms & Conditions provided by the airline. Travel valid from 6/1/2014-6/1/2015, blackout dates apply.
- Contestant must have complied with all Giver Terms and Conditions in their giveaway to be eligible for the contest.
- If any of the above Terms and Conditions are not followed your submission will be deemed invalid.
- Entrants must comply with these Terms and Conditions. Submission means you accept and understand the above Contest rules and these Terms and Conditions.
To download the WBN ebook Essay Contest Rules, Guidelines, and Terms & Conditions please click here.
To learn more about the free 2014 WBN ebook —NOT available until April 22, 2014— please go to www.eworldbooknight.org