Volunteer book givers are central to World Book Night U.S., putting wonderful books into the hands of light or non-readers in their communities.
We provide the free books, and the book givers seek out light or non-readers, especially people who don’t regularly read and/or people who don’t normally have access to printed books, for reasons of means or geography. Book givers receive 20 free paperback copies of one World Book Night title, not too many to carry but enough to share with a good number of potential new readers.
Volunteer book givers agree to the following:
• You must be 16 years of age or older.
• World Book Night U.S. books are not for resale.
• World Book Night U.S. books are not for friends, family, or book groups.
• Click here to review the list of 35 book titles before you apply. You can make a first, second, and third choice of books. We will do our very best to accommodate your wishes, but we cannot guarantee your first choice. Givers will receive 20 copies of one book title.
• In our application you will also be asked three questions. Please think about your answers before applying:
- Where do you intend to give out the books?
- To whom do you intend to give books?
- Why do you want to participate in World Book Night?
• Brevity is NOT a plus in your answers; please be passionate and detailed. It helps. Up to 100 words. Thank you!
• Apply using our online form with a community location in mind. Please avoid private property such as malls and other retail spaces; they often do not allow anything handed out without prior permission. Additionally, you should not give books away at or near a retail outlet that carries books.
• Givers from last year must reapply. People move, get new emails, etc.
• Each giver MUST use a unique email address. If two or more people (spouses, co-workers, etc.) apply using the same email address, only the first one received will be considered for giver status. Sorry about this, but email notification systems knock out duplicate email addresses.
• Please enter all your information carefully, especially your email. Last year, some givers did not receive notification due to incorrectly entered email addresses.
• While we see World Book Night U.S. as an individual experience, we will consider group/organization applications very selectively. For more information on groups click here.
Before April 23:
• We will email you in February 2014 with the status of your application. We’ll have thousands to read, so bear with us. 95% of all applications are accepted. The main reason for not being a giver is a brief, unclear answer, or a misunderstanding of WBN’s mission. Our biggest challenge is balancing the requests for some books that are overly popular. We thank you very much for your time in filling out the online application!
• In February 2014, givers will be sent information on how to select a pick-up location using a link that will be provided. All boxes are shipped to local bookstores and libraries; we do not ship to individual homes.
• All accepted givers will be invited by email (and if needed, by phone) to attend a reception at their pick-up location the week of April 14, 2014. This provides a chance to meet other givers, as well as the host booksellers or librarians.
• Resources will be posted in March 2014 on this website: guidelines, downloadable logos, and much more.
On April 23:
• On April 23, 2014, each giver will personally hand out 20 copies of his/her designated title to light or non-readers. Please do not give your books out before April 23rd.
• Help us promote World Book Night U.S. and your love of reading through your own social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), or with local media. When you can, take lots of photos and/or videos. The social media outpouring each year has been INCREDIBLE!
• We will arrange for local and national publicity in April to support your efforts.
After April 23:
• If possible, we’d love it if you can go back to the place you handed out books and get feedback from the book recipients, such as what they thought about the book you shared with them.
If you want to know more about WBN, the books, and more, please visit our FAQs.
To apply to be a book giver, we ask you to fill out the World Book Night U.S. online application; click here to begin.
Thank you for supporting World Book Night U.S.!