Each year, we select a range of wonderful books for our volunteer givers to share on World Book Night. We print a total of half a million books, and the book givers take these special paperback editions out into their communities in search of light or non-readers.
What makes a good World Book Night book?
- Accessible books of high quality.
- Both recently published books and established classics.
- Books available in paperback.
- Any genre of book—fiction, mysteries, romance, SF and fantasy, classics, poetry, humor, autobiography, and young adult books.
- The list overall must have gender, ethnic, and geographical balance.
An independent panel of booksellers and librarians selects the books, using lists curated by experts in the bookselling and library world. All of the information comes from external, independent sources. Additionally, each year, givers from the previous year’s World Book Night nominate books for the panel to consider.
The authors of the official selections have agreed to waive royalties in order for us to be able to afford to print the free World Book Night editions. We are very grateful for this generous support of our literacy efforts.
To see this year’s World Book Night U.S. books, please click here.
To see previous years’ World Book Night U.S. books, please click here.
If you are interested in applying to become a volunteer book giver, please sign up for our newsletter to learn when we open applications for 2015! Applications to become a WBN 2014 Book Giver are now closed.